Answers - Index to All Puzzles
- "He who answers a matter before he hears the facts, it is folly and shame to him."
- "Are not words tested by the ear, even as food is tasted by the mouth?"
- "Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how YOU ought to give an answer to each one."
- "Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than of him."
- "Some of you say, 'We can do anything we want to.' But I tell you that not everything is good for us. So I refuse to let anything have power over me."
- "They promise them liberty. Liberty!—when they themselves are bound hand and foot to utter depravity. For a man is the slave of whatever masters him."
- "But brothers, I beg you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to agree among yourselves. There must be no divisions among you. You must be united. You must have all the same mind and the same purpose."
- "Fill up and complete my joy by living in harmony and being of the same mind and one in purpose, having the same love, being in full accord and of one harmonious mind and intention."
- "I have been sent to say these words to you and to give you this good news. Now, see, you will be without voice or language till the day when these things come about, because you had not faith in my words, which will have effect at the right time."
- "Absolutely not! He must be named John."
- "Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is for one to eat and to drink, and find enjoyment in all the labor in which he labors under the sun all the days which God gives him, for this is his (allotted) part."
- "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
- "You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created."
- "GOD who made the universe and everything in it—He, being Lord of Heaven and earth, does not dwell in sanctuaries built by men. Nor is He ministered to by human hands, as though He needed anything—but He Himself gives to all men life and breath and all things."
- "Good day, highly favored one, Jehovah is with you."
- "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. How does it happen to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"
- "I am going to take the Israelite people from among the nations they have gone to, and gather them from every quarter, and bring them to their own land. I will make them a single nation in the land, on the hills of Israel, and one king shall be king of them all. Never again shall they be two nations, and never again shall they be divided into two kingdoms."
- "Have no fear, Mary, for you have found favor with God; and, look! you will conceive in your womb and give birth to a son, and you are to call his name Jesus. This one will be great and will be called Son of the Most High; and Jehovah God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule as king over the house of Jacob forever, and there will be no end of his kingdom."
- "What have I done to you? Why have you beaten me these three times?"
- "A righteous man is concerned for the life of his beast; but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel."
- "Little children, guard yourselves from idols."
- "And what agreement does a temple of God have with idols? For you are a temple of the living God, even as God said, 'I will' dwell in them and 'walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.'"
- "He might cut down cedars to use, or choose oak or cypress wood from the forest. Or he might plant a laurel tree and wait for the rain to make it grow. A person uses part of a tree for fuel and part of it for making an idol. With one part he builds a fire to warm himself and bake bread; with the other part he makes a god and worships it. With some of the wood he makes a fire; he roasts meat, eats it, and is satisfied. He warms himself and says, 'How nice and warm! What a beautiful fire!' The rest of the wood he makes into an idol, and then he bows down and worships it. He prays to it and says, 'You are my god—save me!' Such people are too stupid to know what they are doing. They close their eyes and their minds to the truth. The maker of idols hasn't the wit or the sense to say, 'Some of the wood I burned up. I baked some bread on the coals, and I roasted meat and ate it. And the rest of the wood I made into an idol. Here I am bowing down to a block of wood!' It makes as much sense as eating ashes. His foolish ideas have so misled him that he is beyond help. He won't admit to himself that the idol he holds in his hand is not a god at all."
- "Friends, you know that we make a good living at this. But you have surely seen and heard how this man Paul is upsetting a lot of people, not only in Ephesus, but almost everywhere in Asia. He claims that the gods we humans make are not really gods at all. Everyone will start saying terrible things about our business. They will stop respecting the temple of the goddess Artemis, who is worshiped in Asia and all over the world. Our great goddess will be forgotten!"
- "People of Ephesus, who in the world doesn't know that our city is the center for worshiping the great goddess Artemis? Who doesn't know that her image which fell from heaven is right here?"
- "Wherefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry."
- "Therefore my judgment is that we don't trouble those from among the Gentiles who turn to God, but that we write to them that they abstain from the pollution of idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood."
- "And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way, walk in it, and do not turn aside, either to the right hand or to the left."
- "You are to take care then to do as your God Jehovah has commanded you; you are not to turn from it to right or to left; you are to walk altogether in the path your God Jehovah has commanded you, that you may live, and it may be well with you, and you may have a long time, in the country you are to take possession of."
- "Father! Here are the fire and the wood, but where is the sheep for a burnt-offering?"
- "Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected, and the scripture was fulfilled which says: 'Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,' and he came to be called 'Jehovah's friend.'"
- "By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac, and the man that had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up [his] only-begotten [son], although it had been said to him: 'What will be called "your seed" will be through Isaac.' But he reckoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead; and from there he did receive him also in an illustrative way."
- "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth: and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand."
- "Do you think I'm a dog? Is that why you've come after me with a stick? Come on! When I'm finished with you, I'll feed you to the birds and wild animals!"
- "You are coming to me with sword, and with spear, and with javelin. But I am coming to you in the name of Jehovah of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, which you have reproached. Today Jehovah shall shut you up into my hand, and I shall strike you, and take off your head from you and give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the heavens and to the beasts of the earth today. And all the earth shall know that there is a God for Israel. And all this company shall know that Jehovah does not save by sword and by spear, but that the battle belongs to Jehovah, and He has given you into our hand."
- "Our enemy, our persecutor, is this evil man Haman!"
- "Your Majesty, Haman built a tower seventy-five feet high beside his house, so he could hang Mordecai on it. And Mordecai is the very one who spoke up and saved your life."
- "I am observing the face of your father, that it is not toward me as in the past; but the God of my father is on my side. You know that with all my strength I have served your father. Your father has dealt deceitfully with me and changed my wages ten times, yet God did not permit him to do me harm."
- "David? Who is he? I've never heard of him! The country is full of runaway slaves nowadays! I'm not going to take my bread and water, and the animals I have butchered for my sheepshearers, and give them to people who come from I don't know where!"
- "So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages."
- "The Law of Moses says, Don't muzzle an ox when he's treading out grain. Is God here interested in oxen? Surely He has us in mind. This was written to show us when we plow or thresh we should expect to get a share of the crop."
- "An inheritance gotten wrongly at first,
Even its latter end is not blessed."
- "And they covet and seize fields and houses, and carry them away. And they oppress a man and his household, even a man and his inheritance."
- "But how can you teach others when you refuse to learn? You preach that it is wrong to steal. But do you steal?"
- "Of a truth I have sinned against Jehovah, the God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done: when I saw among the spoil a goodly Babylonish mantle, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it."
- "Even though you consider yourself of no importance, you are the leader of the tribes of Israel. The LORD anointed you king of Israel, and he sent you out with orders to destroy those wicked people of Amalek. He told you to fight until you had killed them all. Why, then, did you not obey him? Why did you rush to grab the loot, and so do what displeases the LORD?"
- "Give me your vineyard to be my vegetable garden, since it is close by, next to my house. I will give you a better vineyard in exchange, or, if you prefer, I will give you its value in money."
- "Look, Lord, half of my property I'm giving to the poor, and if I've cheated anybody, I'm paying him back four times as much."
- "Do not demand anything more than the tax rate."
- "The thing you do is not good. Should you not walk in the fear of God because of the reproach of the nations, our enemies? Likewise, my brothers and my servants are lending them silver and grain. Now let us leave off this interest. Now even today give back to them their lands, their vineyards, their oliveyards, and their houses; also the hundredth part of their silver, and of the grain, the wine, and the oil, that you have taken from them."
- "Here I am. Answer against me in front of Jehovah and in front of his anointed one: Whose bull have I taken or whose ass have I taken or whom have I defrauded or whom have I crushed or from whose hand have I accepted hush money that I should hide my eyes with it? And I shall make restoration to YOU people."
- "A man has plenty of ideas in his mind,
but Jehovah's plan is what stands."
- "Come, now, YOU who say: 'Today or tomorrow we will journey to this city and will spend a year there, and we will engage in business and make profits,' whereas YOU do not know what YOUR life will be tomorrow. For YOU are a mist appearing for a little while and then disappearing. Instead, YOU ought to say: 'If Jehovah wills, we shall live and also do this or that.'"
- "God is not a man to lie;—
Or a son of man to change his purpose!
He has said!—and will HE not do?
And spoken!—will HE not perform?"
- "And so God also, in His determination to make clear to the heirs of His promise the unchangeable character of His purpose, interposed with an oath. Thus, by means of two unchangeable things, the promise and the oath, in neither of which it is conceivable that God could lie, sure comfort is given to us who have abandoned everything to lay hold on the hope held out to us."
- "Look, the law is on your side, but there is no representative of the king to hear your case. How I wish I were a judge! Then anyone who had a dispute or a claim could come to me, and I would give him justice."
- "If you are foolishly bragging or planning something evil, then stop it now! If you churn milk you get butter; if you pound on your nose, you get blood—and if you stay angry, you get in trouble."
- "You will destroy those who speak lies;
Jehovah detests a man of bloodshed and fraud."
- "Why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep a part of the receipts from the sale of the land for yourself? While it was still yours, you could have kept it, couldn't you? And after it was sold, wasn't it yours to do with as you wished? How could you contrive such a thing in your heart? You haven't lied to men; no, you lied to God!"
- "I know only too well that, when I am gone, savage wolves will come among you which will deal mercilessly with the flock, and that, out of your midst, men will be coming forward who will give utterance to perverted opinions, with a view to drawing the disciples after them and making them come over to their side."
- "Beware of the false teachers—men who come to you in sheep's fleeces, but beneath that disguise they are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will easily recognize them."
- "But wicked men and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived."
- "Even the one whose coming is marked by the working of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, and with every deceit of wrongdoing among those whose fate is destruction; because they were quite without that love of the true faith by which they might have salvation. And for this cause, God will give them up to the power of deceit and they will put their faith in what is false: So that they all may be judged, who had no faith in what is true, but took pleasure in evil."
- "We know that we belong to God, while the whole world is in the clutches of the Evil One."
- "And bring us not into temptation, but rescue us from the Evil one."
- "Instead of your fathers shall be your sons; you shall make them princes in all the earth."
- "Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and princes shall rule in justice."
- "Don't be misled; 'bad companions corrupt good habits.'"
- "Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God remold your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves toward the goal of true maturity."
- "No temptation has taken you except what is human; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above what you are able. But with the temptation, He will also make the way out, so that you may be able to bear it."
- "Let no man, being tempted, say, I am tempted of God. For God cannot be tempted by evil things, and himself tempts no one. But every one is tempted, drawn away, and enticed by his own lust; then lust, having conceived, gives birth to sin; but sin fully completed brings forth death."
- "Stand against the devil. Stand firm in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers all over the world are also suffering for their faith."
- "Whatever trials you have to suffer, my brothers, you should be very happy, for you know that as your faith is proved so you learn to endure. But you must endure to the very end so that you may be perfect and complete, and not fail in any way."
- "But not only this, but we also are exulting in our tribulations, knowing that this tribulation produces endurance, and this endurance, approvedness, and this approvedness, hope. And this hope does not disappoint."
- "If you are a son of God, tell this stone to become a loaf of bread."
- "Dearly beloved, stop believing every so-called spiritual utterance, but keep testing them to see whether they come from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."
- "I love Tamar, my [half] brother Absalom's sister."
- "Truly, you are a fair woman and beautiful to the eye; and I am certain that when the men of Egypt see you, they will say, This is his wife: and they will put me to death and keep you. Say, then, that you are my sister, and so it will be well with me because of you, and my life will be kept safe on your account."
- "It was in you our fathers put their confidence,
put their confidence and you brought them through,
To you they cried, and came off safe;
in you they put their confidence and were not disappointed.
But I am a worm, not a man,
a thing flouted by men, despised by people.
All who see me make fun of me,
curl their lips, swing their heads:
'He relied on Jehovah, let him bring him through,
let him deliver him because he likes him.'"
- "Others he saved; himself he cannot save! He is King of Israel; let him now come down off the torture stake and we will believe on him. He has put his trust in God; let Him now rescue him if He wants him, for he said, 'I am God's Son."
- "Out with you, out with you, you cutthroat, you rowdy! Jehovah has sent back upon you all the blood of the family of Saul in whose place you have reigned! and Jehovah has given the kingship into the hands of your son Absalom, and here you are in your trouble, cutthroat that you are!"
- "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over, please, and lop off his head."
- "When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that the time has come for her to be laid waste. Let those in Judaea then flee into the mountains; let those inside the city leave, and let those in the country not enter it, because these are days of punishment; they have come that all the scriptures may be fulfilled."
- "And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of Heaven from God and made ready like a bride attired to meet her husband."
- "And they have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Ennom, to burn their sons, and their daughters in the fire: which I commanded not, nor thought on in my heart."
- "For the one having died has been justified [or, set free] from sin."
- "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."
- "The last enemy that shall be abolished is death."
- "Let the wicked man leave his way, and the harmful man his thoughts; and let him return to Jehovah, who will have mercy upon him, and to our God, for he will forgive in a large way."
- "It is not dilatoriness—although some people think it is—which keeps the Lord from fulfilling his promise; it is his patience with you. He does not want any to be destroyed; he wants them to find their way to repentance."
- "My reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, praising and honouring him who lives for ever, for his dominion is an everlasting dominion and his kingdom lasts from age to age; before him the inhabitants of the earth are all reckoned as of no account; he does as he pleases in the hosts of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth, and none can interfere with him or ask him what he is doing."
- "See, the nations are to him like a drop hanging from a bucket, and like the small dust in the scales: he takes up the islands like small dust."
- "As your spiritual teacher I give you this piece of advice to each one of you. Don't cherish exaggerated ideas of yourself or your importance, but try to have a sane estimate of your capabilities by the light of the faith that God has given to you all."
- "Do not act out of selfish ambition or conceit, but with humility think of others as being better than yourselves."
- "Where, then, is the source of wisdom?
Where can we learn to understand?
No living creature can see it,
Not even a bird in flight.
Even death and destruction
Admit they have heard only rumors.
God alone knows the way,
Knows the place where wisdom is found,
Because he sees the ends of the earth,
Sees everything under the sky.
When God gave the wind its power
And determined the size of the sea;
When God decided where the rain would fall,
And the path that the thunderclouds travel;
It was then he saw wisdom and tested its worth—
He gave it his approval.
God said to men,
'To be wise, you must have reverence for the Lord.
To understand, you must turn from evil.'"
- "For Jehovah giveth wisdom; out of his mouth come knowledge and understanding."
- "When any one of you needs wisdom, ask God. He is eager to help you and will never find fault with you for making requests. He will give you all the wisdom you need."
- "All Scripture [is] God-breathed and [is] beneficial for teaching [or, doctrine], for verification [or, reproof], for correcting faults, for instruction in righteousness [or, the behavior that God requires], so that the person of God shall be fully qualified [or, perfectly fit], having been completely equipped for every good work."
- "And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that if we are asking anything according to His will, He hears us."
- "But as for me, I will look to the Lord and [confident] in Him I will keep watch; I will wait with hope and expectancy for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me."
- "Jehovah is my shepherd, I shall lack nothing."
Picture credit: WINGED LION (IN THE BRITISH MUSEUM) FROM NINEVEH, from Hand-Book of Bible Geography, by Rev. George H. Whitney, D. D., Published by Phillips & Hunt, New York, 1879.
Answers - Index to All Puzzles