Answers - Index to All Puzzles
- "Were a man to offer all the wealth of his house to buy love, contempt is all he would purchase."
- "Skin for skin! A man will give away all he has to save his life."
- "Beloved friends, let us love one another; because love is from God; and everyone who loves has God as his Father and knows God. Those who do not love, do not know God; because God is love."
- "You have heard people say, 'Love your neighbors and hate your enemies.' But I tell you to love your enemies and pray for anyone who mistreats you."
- "Keep the royal law of love which is taught in our Holy Writings: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.'"
- "And over all these qualities put on love, which is the tie of perfection that binds us together."
- "Greater love than this has no one, that anyone may be laying down his soul for his friends."
- "You should each judge your own conduct. If it is good, then you can be proud of what you yourself have done, without having to compare it with what someone else has done."
- "For we are not bold to number or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves. But they themselves, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves with themselves, are without understanding."
- "Even until I breathe my last will I not let go mine integrity from me."
- "Better is a poor man that walketh in his integrity, than he that is perverse in his lips, and is a fool."
- "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then also can you do good who are accustomed and taught, even trained, to do evil."
- "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore, the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."
- "You always have the poor with you, and you can show them a kindness whenever you wish."
- "For there will never be a time when there are no poor in the land; and so I give orders to you, Let your hand be open to your countrymen, to those who are poor and in need in your land."
- "Speak up for people who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless. Speak for them and be a righteous judge. Protect the rights of the poor and needy."
- "Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is stumbled, and I am not incensed?"
- "Why do you look so sad? You're not sick. Something must be bothering you."
- "May Your Majesty live forever! How can I keep from looking sad when the city where my ancestors are buried is in ruins and its gates have been destroyed by fire?"
- "Why are you angry and downcast? If you are well disposed, ought you not to lift up your head? But if you are ill disposed, is not sin at the door like a crouching beast hungering for you, which you must master?"
- "I appeal unto Caesar!"
- "This man could have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar."
- "There is a God able to save us, the God whom we serve, able to save us from the burning furnace and from your power, O king. But even if he does not, understand this, O king, we will not serve your gods, and we will not bow down before the golden image which you have erected."
- "Having hope [or, confident expectation] in God, which even they themselves are waiting for, [that there is] about to be a resurrection of [the] dead, both of righteous [ones] and of unrighteous [ones]."
- "Some wicked men have gotten into our churches by secret means. They neither believe nor obey God. They will be condemned as they deserve. They deserve it because they twist the mercy of God to mean that they can practice sex vice. They deserve it because they deny that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Master."
- "Don't you know that unrighteous people will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't delude yourselves—people who engage in sex before marriage, who worship idols, who engage in sex after marriage with someone other than their spouse, who engage in active or passive homosexuality, who steal, who are greedy, who get drunk, who assail people with contemptuous language, who rob—none of them will share in the Kingdom of God."
- "There are many different languages in this world, and all of them make sense. But if I don't understand the language that someone is using, we will be like foreigners to each other."
- "Sir, we don't want the people listening from the city wall to understand what you are saying. So please speak to us in Aramaic instead of Hebrew."
- "Also at that time, I saw that Jews had married Ashdodite, Ammonite, and Moabite women; a good number of their children spoke the language of Ashdod and the language of those various peoples, and did not know how to speak Judean."
- "If I enjoy your favour, place your hand under my thigh and promise to be kind and good to me, do not bury me in Egypt. When I sleep with my fathers, carry me out of Egypt and bury me in their tomb."
- "God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here."
- "Excuse me, Jehovah, but I am not a fluent speaker, neither since yesterday nor since before that nor since your speaking to your servant, for I am slow of mouth and slow of tongue."
- "The Lord GOD gave me a skilled tongue,
To know how to speak timely words to the weary.
Morning by morning, He rouses,
He rouses my ear
To give heed like disciples."
- "I have come to know that you are able to do all things,
And there is no idea that is unattainable for you.
'Who is this that is obscuring counsel without knowledge?'
Therefore I talked, but I was not understanding
Things too wonderful for me, which I do not know.
'Hear, please, and I myself shall speak.
I shall question you, and you inform me.'
In hearsay I have heard about you,
But now my own eye does see you.
That is why I make a retraction,
And I do repent in dust and ashes."
- "I am brutish, less than a man;
I lack common sense.
I have not learned wisdom,
Nor do I possess knowledge of the Holy One.
Who has ascended heaven and come down?
Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hand?
Who has wrapped the waters in his garment?
Who has established all the extremities of the earth?
What is his name or his son's name, if you know it?"
- "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the Holy Spirit as a gift."
- "I have not come to call just men but sinners to repentance."
- "The scepter or leadership shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet until Shiloh [the Messiah, the Peaceful One] comes to Whom it belongs, and to Him shall be the obedience of the people."
- "Wherefore God hath exalted him, and given him a name above all names: that in the name of Jesus should every knee bow, both of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under earth, and that all tongues should confess that Jesus Christ is the Lord, unto the praise of God the Father."
- "Therefore, laying aside all falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth to his neighbour, for we are bound to one another as parts of the one body."
- "Jehovah! cut off the false lips;
With the tongues that are uttering lies;
Who say, "By our tongue we are strong,
By the power of our lips we succeed,
Who then can be master of us?"
- "You belong to your father, Satan, and you want to carry out your father's desires. From the start he was a murderer, and he has never stood by the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he is speaking in character; because he is a liar—indeed, the inventor of the lie!"
- "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"
- "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands, put my finger into the place where the nails were and put my hand into his side, I refuse to believe."
- "He who has two undergarments, let him share one with him who does not have any, and he who has foods, let him be doing the same."
- "Suppose you meet some brothers or sisters who have no clothes or daily food. Suppose you say to them, 'Good bye. Don't worry. I hope you will keep warm and find enough to eat.' If you give them no help, do you think God will approve of that? Faith is dead if loving deeds do not go with it."
- "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, 'Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow'—when you now have it with you."
- "Do let me now select twelve thousand men, and I will arise and pursue after David this night; and I will come upon him while he is weary and weak-handed, and will terrify him; so that all the people that are with him will flee; and I will smite the king alone."
- "O Jehovah, I pray thee, turn the counsel of Ahithophel into foolishness."
- "How long will you sleep, O sluggard? When will you arise out of your sleep?
Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to lie down and sleep;
So will your poverty come as a robber or one who travels [with slow but surely approaching steps], and your want as an armed man [making you helpless]."
- "The lazy one has hidden his hand in the banquet bowl; he cannot bring it back even to his own mouth."
- "Oh, not that, my lords! Behold now, your servant has found favor in your sight, and you have magnified your kindness and mercy to me in saving my life; but I cannot escape to the mountains lest the evil overtake me, and I die. See now yonder city; it is near enough to flee to, and it is a little one. Oh, let me escape to it! Is it not a little one? And my life will be saved!"
- "God saved Lot, that good man who suffered so much at seeing the sex vices of those wicked people. What that good man saw and heard of their evil deeds, gave his pure soul great pain day after day."
- "Children, obey your parents in the Lord; for this is just. Honor your father and mother, (which is the first commandment with a promise,) that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth."
- "A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am a father, where is My honor? And if I am a master, where is My fear?"
- "Whoever will read this writing and show me the interpretation of it, shall be clothed with purple, and have a chain of gold put about his neck, and shall be the third ruler in the kingdom."
- "Then all the fortunetellers, magicians, wizards, and astrologers were brought in, and I told them my dream, but they could not explain it to me. Then Daniel came in. (He is also called Belteshazzar, after the name of my god.) The spirit of the holy gods is in him, so I told him what I had dreamed."
- "Who is Jehovah that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know Jehovah; and I am not going to let Israel go."
- "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and see the salvation of Jehovah, which he will perform for you today. For the Egyptians whom you do see today you will not see again, no, never again. Jehovah will himself fight for you, and you yourselves will be silent."
- "See, you are basing your hope on that broken rod of Egypt, which will go into a man's hand if he makes use of it for a support; for so is Pharaoh, king of Egypt, to all who put their faith in him."
- "Forty days from now Nineveh will be destroyed!"
- "At Judgment Day men of Nineveh will rise up with this generation and will condemn it. For they repented at what Jonah preached. But now one greater than Jonah is here."
- "Where is the credit in standing punishment for having done wrong? No, if you stand suffering for having done right, that is what God counts a merit."
- "Brothers, take as a pattern of the suffering of evil and the exercising of patience the prophets, who spoke in the name of Jehovah. Look! We pronounce happy those who have endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome Jehovah gave, that Jehovah is very tender in affection and merciful."
- "Some friends bring ruin on us,
but a true friend is more loyal than a brother."
- "And if somebody could overpower one alone, two together could make a stand against him. And a threefold cord cannot quickly be torn in two."
- "Where is the one born king of the Jews? For we saw his star [when we were] in the east, and we have come to do him obeisance."
- "Go, search strictly for the CHILD; and as soon as you have found him, bring me Word, that I also may go and pay him reverence."
- "For everything there is a season,—
And a time for every pursuit under the heavens:....
A time to kill, and a time to heal,....
A time to be silent, and a time to speak;....
A time of war, and a time of peace."
- "Don't shout, make any noise, or let one word come out of your mouth until I tell you to shout. Then shout!"
- "By Israel's God Jehovah, in whose service I am, there shall not be dew nor rain these years except at my word."
- "Elijah was a man with the same frail power as ourselves. And yet, when he offered prayer that rain should cease, no rain fell on the earth for three years and a half."
- "My father, my father, the war chariot of Israel and his horsemen!"
- "Or do you suppose I cannot entreat my Father and He would instantly send to my help more than twelve legions of angels?"
- "Do not be afraid, because there are more on our side than on theirs.... Jehovah, open his eyes so that he will see."
- "And I saw the heaven opened, and, look! a white horse.... Also, the armies that were in heaven were following him on white horses, and they were clothed in white, clean, fine linen."
- "There were two men in one town, a rich man and a poor man. The rich man had many sheep and cattle; the poor man had nothing but a single ewe lamb which he had bought; he fed it, and it grew up with him and his children, it used to eat his own morsels and drink from his cup and nestle in his bosom, just like a daughter. Now a traveller came to visit the rich man, and the rich man spared his own sheep and cattle when he had to make provision for the traveller who had come to visit him; he took the poor man's lamb and prepared that for his visitor."
- "For the word of God [is] living and effective and sharper than every double-edged sword, and [is] penetrating as far as [the] division of both soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and [is] able to discern [the] thoughts and intentions of the heart [fig., inner self]."
- "A word at the right time is like apples of gold in a network of silver."
- "A man has rejoicing in the answer of his mouth, and a word at its right time is O how good!"
- "There is one little boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but these—what are they to so many?"
- "Please bring to me a little water in a vessel, and I shall drink.... Please bring me a bit of bread in your hand.... Do not fear, go, do according to your word, only first make me a little cake of it, and bring to me and afterward prepare for you and for your son. For so says Jehovah the God of Israel, 'The pitcher of meal shall not be consumed, and the jar of oil shall not fail, until the day that Jehovah sends rain on the land.'"
- "How can you say you love me, when you don't mean it? You've made a fool of me three times, and you still haven't told me what makes you so strong."
- "Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps his soul from distresses."
- "Those who are trusting in their means of maintenance,
And who keep boasting about the abundance of their riches,
Not one of them can by any means redeem even a brother,
Nor give to God a ransom for him."
- "But they that desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
- "Rich people, however, imagine that their wealth protects them like high, strong walls around a city."
- "Advise those who are rich in this world's goods not to think themselves superior. Let them not pin their hope on such transient wealth but rather upon God who is the provider of all riches for our enjoyment."
- "I turned and saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong nor bread to the wise nor riches to the men of understanding nor glory to the learned men; because time and chance happen to them all."
- "The Ammonites, Moabites, and the people of Mount Seir have come here. However, you didn't let Israel invade them when they came out of Egypt. The Israelites turned away from them and didn't destroy them. They are now paying us back by coming to force us out of your land that you gave to us. You're our God. Won't you judge them? We don't have the strength to face this large crowd that is attacking us. We don't know what to do, so we're looking to you."
- "Pay attention, all Judah and YOU inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat! Here is what Jehovah has said to YOU, 'Do not YOU be afraid or be terrified because of this large crowd; for the battle is not YOURS, but God's.... YOU will not need to fight in this instance. Take YOUR position, stand still and see the salvation of Jehovah in YOUR behalf.'"
- "The simple man has faith in every word, but the man of good sense gives thought to his footsteps."
- "Now faith is [the] assurance [or, substance] of [things] being hoped for [or, being confidently expected], [the] confident assurance [or, proof] of things not seen."
- "Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!"
- "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear Jehovah and depart from evil."
- "How long will you be limping upon two different opinions? If Jehovah is the true God, go following him; but if Baal is, go following him."
- "And if it seems evil in your eyes to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve, whether the gods whom your fathers served Beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living. But as for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah."
- "Ah, but this people has sinned with a great sin, in that they made a god of gold for themselves! But now if you will pardon their sin,—and if not, wipe me out, please, from your book that you have written."
- "Then those fearing Jehovah spoke together, each man to his neighbor. And Jehovah gave attention and heard. And a Book of Remembrance was written before Him for those who feared Jehovah, and for those esteeming His name."
- "For, as regards Jehovah, his eyes are roving about through all the earth to show his strength in behalf of those whose heart is complete toward him."
- "God is greater than our heart and knows everything."
Picture credit: VIEW OF THE THEATER AT EPHESUS, (FROM LABORDE.), from Hand-Book of Bible Geography, by Rev. George H. Whitney, D. D., Published by Phillips & Hunt, New York, 1879.
Answers - Index to All Puzzles